McGirt Auditorium

City of Rock Hill
Rock Hill, SC

McGirt Auditorium is part of the Emmett Scott Recreation Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina and is located at the historic site of the former Emmett Scott School. The auditorium has long served as a place of cultural significance for the Rock Hill community. Founded in 1920, the school was named after Emmett J. Scott, a prominent educator who was then secretary of Howard University. This was the first public school for African Americans in Rock Hill and in 1960, the Emmett Scott School opened McGirt Auditorium which was used for homecomings, pageants, student assemblies and performances.  The auditorium was named for the longest-serving of the six principals, Ralph Waldo McGirt. The Emmett Scott School was closed when South Carolina schools were desegregated in 1970, but has been a place for neighborhood connection ever since.

The City of Rock Hill purchased the property and converted it into a recreation center with the auditorium remaining in use.  The 1,100-seat auditorium currently hosts events such as plays, concerts, and dance competitions.  DP3 Architects was chosen for the renovation which will consist of updating the existing lobby, restrooms, stage area, new stage lights, a sound system, curtains and dressing rooms will be included in the new layout. Additional work will include renovation of the existing courtyard with new exterior canopies and landscaping. On Tuesday, September 12th the City of Rock Hill, SC officially announced the renovation plans for the McGirt Auditorium at Emmett Scott Recreation Center. The project team and community celebrated this momentous occasion with a ceremonial wall breaking. Read more about this special day HERE.